100 YEARS OF ST. ANDREWS - PART TWO 27-12-2006 Birmingham City's win against QPR yesterday kept them top of the Championship and marked the centenary of their home ground. Steve Beauchampé charts the building and development of the Blues' ground.
To describe the site simply as waste ground was an understatement, for it was an area of utter wilderness, a former brickworks with grimy slopes leading down to stagnant pools alongside the Camp Hill
Railway loop. Morris persuaded the Board of the site's potential, a 21-year lease was secured and in Many viewed the proposals with incredulity, particularly given the state of the site before work
began and The Birmingham Mail questioned whether the Directors were wise “in pitching
their camp in such unsavoury surroundings.” But it was Harry Pumfrey, a local carpenter and former Art School student, and T.W.Turley, who made the most vital contributions, saving thousands of pounds in contractors' fees by their selfless efforts
as Project Engineer and Clerk of Works respectively. Pumfrey was not a
qualified architect, yet his plans and drawings were of the highest professional
standards. The scheme raised the club over £800 and, even before the installation of steps and barriers, the banking thus created was known as the Spion Kop, after the Boer War battle of January 1900. When finished the Kop boasted 110 terrace steps at its highest point, 82 at its lowest, with room for 48,000 spectators paying 6d each (with concessions for children). The installation of a roof was initially delayed to allow the rubbish to settle sufficiently to bear its weight, before lack of money became the issue so that the roof was not added for many years. Underneath this stand were the club offices, changingrooms, training facilities and a spacious billiard room, the whole structure featuring 450,000 bricks, 40 tons of corrugated iron, 100 tons of cement and vast quantities of timber. With an open terrace at the railway end housing a further 4,000 spectators, the ground's 75,000+
capacity thus matched the club's ambitious prediction of September 1905,though at a total cost of £10,000 the project was 25% over the original budget estimate. Stories that Green was promptly substituted, whereupon he instantly sat down
at the piano - handily placed at the side of the pitch - and composed the
club anthem Keep Right On To The End Of The Road, finishing it just before the final
whistle in time for the crowd to perform a hearty rendition as they left the ground, are
perhaps misplaced...after all, substitutes were not permitted in football until many years
later. |
©2006 The Stirrer